Skip to main content

Critical Reflection

 The effective communication module was the boost that I needed to improve on my writing and presentations skills. The module is a short but effective module. I was not only able to see improvement in myself but the whole class.


At the start of this module, I had two goals in mind;  to be more confident in presentation and to improve on my writing skills. I was able to achieve these goals with the help of professor Blackstone. Throughout this module, there were mini presentations that gradually helped to build my confidence in presenting. Although I am not able to present myself as confidently as Steve Jobs, I was able to see an improvement in my presentation skills. The improvement can be seen in my oral presentation. I was able to project my voice better in the final presentation as compared to the mock presentation. I was still unable to entirely remove the nervousness that I had when presenting. Despite being nervous, I was able to remember my script and complete my presentation for the final presentation. This was the complete opposite of my previous experience in my introduction letter. There are many factors that I still need to improve on. These factors include reducing my dependence on slides and the use of filler words. With more practice, I am sure that these factors can be improved.


The 7Cs that was taught helped me a lot in my writing skills. It provided me with a checklist when writing sentences. Before I knew about the 7Cs, my sentences tend to be too long or repetitive. The 7Cs taught me to cut down on my sentences and be straight to the point. By applying the 7Cs, I found that my sentences are more understandable and have a clear focus. The feedback that I received from professor Blackstone further improved my writing. I was able to consult and improve on the content of the assignments. 


It was the first time I worked with Iqbal and Ben. Through this assignment, I had a better understanding of the importance of being open-minded. Different people have different ideas and opinions. There were times where our opinions clashed. To overcome this issue, we explained our opinions and compromise with each other. We then weighed the options and chose the most suitable decision. My group members also ensured that everyone agreed with a decision before implementing or changing any parts of the report. From this experience, I learned that Iqbal is initiative. He would set up zoom meetings to discuss the report and improve on the report if he is able to. Ben is able to think on his feet if needed. During the interview with Dr Lee, Ben was able to come up with an answer to a difficult question that Dr Lee gave.


I learned a lot throughout my experience in completing this project. I had to reach out to a researcher for my primary research. This was a new experience for me as it was the first time I reached out to an expert. I also learned how to write an appropriate email to him by consulting with professor Blackstone. Looking at how my classmates presented their ideas gave me a visual idea of how to give a good presention and I learned a lot from them.


All in all, I learned a lot through this module. The skills that I gained through this module are skills that can be applied in the workplace. The pitching and presentation skills can be applied when presenting a proposal to the higher authority in the workplace. I can apply the writing skills when writing reports assigned at the workplace. It is a skill that is always applicable and cannot be forgotten.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self-Introduction Letter

  Subject: Self Introduction Letter   Dear Prof Brad, I am writing to introduce myself formally to you. I am Aisyah Farhanah from tutorial group 5 of your effective communication module. I graduated from Temasek Polytechnic with a diploma in aviation management and services. Through my course, I realised the many projects that had been implemented by Changi Airport such as Jewel. I know that these construction projects take a lot of planning and was curious on the process of construction. I had to assess the site map of the Jewel as part of the project that I did in the course. I was clueless on the map and had to do research to know more. This research cultivated my interest towards CVE as I became curious to know more on construction drawings. I also wanted to know how major buildings are built in a way that is safe for the general public. CVE offered the answers to my questions thus I decided to apply for Civil Engineering (CVE) in Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT) to fi

The Importance of communication skills for engineers

 “While all engineers should have good communication skills, global engineers face additional challenges, making effective communication an imperative.” - Debra Kraft, Careers Content Writer, Demand Media (2016) According to the quote by Debra Kraft, Although engineers are obliged to have communication abilities, the importance of effective communication is vital for global engineers in overcoming the difficulties related to the interaction with international engineers.

Summary Reader Response Draft #2

In the article, “How can Southeast Asia’s clean energy transition be sped up?”, Daubach (2019) highlighted a highly potential clean energy called nuclear fusion. According to Daubach, Moniz who is the Chief Executive of the Energy Futures Initiative and Nuclear Threat Initiative, states that Singapore, due to its limitation in space, can implement nuclear fusion. However, it is costly to adopt this energy by 2050 given that the Paris Agreement goal is met. Daubach also mentions that Chapman, the Chief Executive of the United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority, states that nuclear fusion does not produce harmful gases, has lesser decay time of nuclear waste as compared to nuclear fission and only needs a small amount of land. The drawback is that a massive amount of heat and pressure is needed. In addition, the current facilities available are not capable of creating electricity on a large scale. The first nuclear fusion facility is expected to begin operation in 2025 and capable of cateri